A delicous loaf of pumpkin gingerbread fresh from the oven!
This lovely loaf is a delightful addition to any
holiday breakfast (or lunch, dinner or dessert :) This is truly one
of our family's favorite quick breads. The first time my sister made
this gingerbread, we polished off a whole loaf in one sitting! Merry Christmas!
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses, heated
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 350* F. Spray your loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg.
3. Melt the butter and warm the molasses in a saucepan on low. Make sure the butter is melted, but don't let the mixture boil.
4. To the dry ingredients, add the sugar, pumpkin, eggs, milk and the melted butter and molasses mixture and mix well until fully combined.
5. Pour the finished batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour on
350*F until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out
clean. Let cool for about ten minutes, then turn the loaf out on a
cutting board, cooling rack or platter. Let cool for at least
another ten minutes or so before slicing. For perfect slicing, its
best to allow the loaf to cool completely. However, our family
prefers to eat this bread fresh from the oven and still warm! Spread
with butter or top with whipped cream! Enjoy!